The Bitemaster stands for the National Anthem, but supports those who kneel in protest against police brutality and racial injustice.
The Bitemaster despises the swifboating of John Kerry. It was one of the most dishonorable actions of George W. Bush’s presidential campaign.
The Bitemaster despises Donald Trump’s insults of Gold Star Mother Ghazala Khan.
The Bitemaster salutes our service members even when he disagrees with their politics. And that goes double for John McCain. Unlike Captain Bone Spur, McCain earned the right to to spout off on any damn thing he wants — even when I think he’s wrong.
I’m no showy patriot, but I have nothing against pledging allegiance to the American flag. But the flag lapel pin has become a symbol of fake patriotism, proudly worn by those who would destroy the Constitution and betray the US to Russia.
And the American right-wing is full of “sovereign citizens,” tax protesters, secessionists like Todd Palin, and other anti-American types.
Which brings me to standing for “God Bless America,” which is now played at American baseball stadia, Should one stand for it? It’s just a song, not the National Anthem. So I asked one of the most decent men I know, himself a veteran of Vietnam. He said he stands in honor of his friends who died there. Good enough for me. Next time, I stand.
After President Trump called Colin Kaepernick (and other athletes who have protested against racial injustice) “that son of a bitch,” Teresa Kaepernick, Colin’s mom, fired back: “Guess that makes me a proud bitch!”
Source: Colin Kaepernick’s mom fires back at Donald Trump’s criticism of national anthem protests
The Bitemaster is not a big fan of . . .
- The Rhode Island branch of the ACLU bringing suit against the nativity scene in Pawtucket RI (they were slapped down by the Supreme Court in Lynch v. Donnelly)
- What the Taliban did to the Buddhas of Bamiyan
- The bombing of the Borobudur temple
- The tearing down of Confederate statues
- The defacing of statues of Columbus
- The renaming of the State of Washington
- The renaming of sports teams
The Bitemaster is fine with
- Ceasing to fly the Confederate battle flag over government buildings
- Removing the Confederate battle flag from state flags (i.e., Mississippi)
- Cultural appropriation
- The ACLU defending the right of the Klan to march in Skokie, opposing Trump’s Muslim ban, and protecting the First Amendment rights of the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville VA.
Terence Crutcher was shot to death by an Oklahoma police officer last week.
- a protective order from 12 years ago (c. 2004) that was dismissed
- imprisoned on a drug charge in 2007
- a “couple of financial things” — no date given
- no violent criminal history, no warrants
- unarmed when shot
Tulsa Police Officer Betty Shelby:
- illegal drug use (marijuana) about 1992, when she was 18
- temporary restraining order for damaging a boyfriend’s car during a breakup in 1993
- 2002 protective order for harassment
The Hannitys of the world say that Crutcher has “a long criminal history,” which seems to be stretching the truth a bit.
The anti-Shelby voices say she had “multiple restraining orders” — but her run-ins with the law seem to pre-date Crutcher’s by quite a bit.
So it seems to me that partisans of both sides are trying to smear the other.
Source: Sean Hannity rebuffed after trying to smear Terence Crutcher
King’s daughter, Lora, is working with cops to reach out to youth who have had run-ins with the police.
The Bitemaster has nothing to add.
Source: Rodney King’s daughter stands with LAPD
Some Dolphins protested, some didn’t. I’m proud to be a citizen of a country where diverse views can be expressed.
Some Chiefs protested, and at least one staffer didn’t. I’m proud to be a citizen of a country where diverse views can be expressed.
Kate Upton is a great-looking model who doesn’t agree with the protests. From what I’ve read, she’s not a jerk, so what the heck.
Source: Kate Upton calls out Dolphins players national anthem protest
Sugar Rodgers of the New York Liberty shows support for the latest shooting victims. The T-shirts were worn by the whole team prior to their game against the San Antonio Stars.
The normally loquacious Bitemaster has nothing to add.
Source: New York Liberty players wear #BlackLivesMatter #Dallas5 T-shirts
More than any other generation, Millennials are militant about the use of offensive language towards minorities, and are rejecting the idea of a blanket right to “free speech.” A Pew report published on Friday revealed that 40 percent of Millennials in America (aged 18 to 34) were in favor of the government limiting hateful speech offensive to minorities.
The First Amendment was written by old white men to protect the privileges of old white men like themselves. It’s time to fuck that white privilege and support the rage of oppressed women and minorities.
Source: 40 percent of millennials favor restrictions on speech that is offensive to minorities: poll